Halloween can be a fun night for us humans, but it actually can be a scary night for our 4-legged friends. Here are some tips to make Halloween and the days leading up to it successful.
Check your pet's ID tags.
If your dog or cat should escape and become lost, having the proper identification will increase the chances that he or she will be returned. Collars and tags are ideal if someone finds your pet, but microchips offer a backup identification if the collar or tag falls off. Just make sure the information is up to date.
Keep your pet away from the door.
Your door will be constantly opening and closing with strangers in costumes on your door step. This can result in unexpected escape or aggression. Putting your pet in a crate or in a room away from the door will reduce stress and prevent darting out the door. Always keep a barrier between your pet and the door.
Dressing your pet up.
Costumes should not restrict movement, hearing, eyesight, or the ability to breathe. Pets who are wearing a costume should always be supervised by a responsible adult so that if something goes wrong, it can be addressed right away.
Get your pet's costume well in advanced.
Get your pet used to their costumes before the big night. Make it a positive experience. If your pet isn't feeling the costume, try a festive collar or bandanna.
Watch your Jack-o-lanterns.
If you are using candles to light your jack-o-lanterns or other Halloween decorations, make sure to place them out of reach from your pets. If they get to close, they are at risk of getting burn or starting a fire.
Keep your treats to yourself.
Chocolate (especially baking or dark chocolate) can be dangerous, even lethal, for dogs and cats. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures.
Halloween candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, liver failure and subsequent loss of coordination and seizures.
Watch your glow jewelry.
Glow sticks and glow jewelry contain dibutyl phthalate (often nicked named DBP) inside, which is a clear to yellow, oily liquid that has a very bitter taste. One bite can cause DBP to leak from the glow stick or jewelry, and result in profuse drooling, gagging, and retching in a pet. DBP can also cause irritation to the skin and eyes, resulting in a burning or stinging sensation.
Keep your pets at home.
There's a lot of different sights and sounds on Halloween night. Your normally friendly pet can become scared of a friendly cartoon character. For the safety of your pets, leave them inside at home.
If your pet eats something they shouldn't call your Veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline 855-764-7661.
Kathlyn Lawrence of All Jazzed Up Pet Services LLC is a Certified Professional Trainer (CPT) with years of experience training dogs and working with animals. For more information on our Pet Services please visit our website.